Data Centres are increasing in presence and size, as the 21st century revolution continues at ever increasing pace. Whilst development of data centres remains a specialist IT process, the need for high reliability and availability system design remains paramount and the need for complex and detailed protection studies is often misunderstood. The large size and complexity of the design can mean that obtaining DNO approval for harmonics and voltage disturbance can also be tricky for developers unused to the DNOs standards and requriements.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services for Data Centres M&E services, covering help with conceptual design ideas, system analysis and detailed design activities. Typical services we offer can include:
- Protection coordination studies
- Arc Flash studies
- Fault Level studies
- Concept development
- Validation and review of Client designs
- Reliability & Availability studies
- ENA P28/2 Voltage Disturbance Studies
- ENA G5.5 Harmonic Studies
- ENA G99 compliance Studies
- Protection scheme design & CT sizing
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- Blackrock – Canary Wharf: Arc Flash Study, for a key financial company, in the UK.
- Capita – Golf Site: Loadflow, Fault Level and Protection Coordination study, for a secure data centre site within the UK.
- ICE – Project Phoenix: Protection Coordination study for a major financial data centre, connected at 33kV, and using over 30MW of power.
- Capita – Charlie Site: Loadflow, Fault Level and Protection Coordination study, for a secure data centre site within the UK.
- E&I – Frankfurt Site: Arc Flash Study, for a key software development company, in Frankfurt, Germany.