The thermal power generation sector in the UK, is one that is undergoing a major shift, with movement away from large scale CCGT plants, to smaller distributed energy from waste, biomass, CHP and Short Term Operating Reserve (STOR). The majority of these plants all have similar goals, to maximise their profitability by optimising the design to reduce CAPEX and OPEX, whilst ensuring that all necessary performance requirements imposed by the Developer and DNO are met.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services across the renewable sector, covering conceptual design ideas, system analysis and detailed design activities. Typical services we offer can include:
- ENA P28/2 Voltage Disturbance Studies
- ENA G5.5 Harmonic Studies
- ENA G99 compliance Studies
- ENA 41-24 Earthing Studies
- Preparation and Completion of ENA G99 forms
- Preparation and Completion of National Grid application forms
- Concept development
- Acting as Owners engineer
- Advice & Support dealing with DNO Offers
- Advice & Support dealing with National Grid
- Challenging DNO costs and non-contestable scope
- Independent reviews of ICPs scope and proposals
- Arc Flash and Fault Level studies
- Stability Studies
- Insulation coordination studies
- Reliability & Availability studies
- Protection scheme design & CT sizing
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- Green Power Generators – TESCO: Detail design and power system studies (Loadflow and Short Circuit) to support deployment of new embedded bio-diesel generation units for 9 different sites across the UK.
- Trant – Forest Park: Detail design for the HV system and control system, as well as power system studies (Loadflow, Fault Level, P28, G5.4, Stability and Protection Coordination) for a new 4.2MW Steam Turbine Generator and energy to was plant, on the Isle of Wight, UK.
- AICA – Rainbarrow Farm Anerobic Digestion Plant: Detail design and earthing study using CDEGS for a major site upgrade.
- Hydropol – Ystraffdin Hydro: Detail design and earthing study using CDEGS for the HV and LV earthing systems, for a new 2MW, 33kV hydro power plant.
- CP Choice – Cavendish: Fault study, P28, G5.4 and Protection Coordination study for a new 7.5MW, 11kV STOR generation site in the UK.
- Lark Power – Pye Bridge: Fault study, P28, G5.4 and Protection Coordination study for a new 8.5MW, 11kV STOR generation site in the UK.