The Oil & Gas and petrochemical industries within the UK faces a lot of constraints and challenges with the increasing need to decarbonise the industry, whilst dealing with ageing assets and infrastructure, and a need to meet ever more stringent legislation and lower production costs. However, these challenges also raise a lot of opportunities for electrification of offshore plants, and compressors, as well as the various opportunities presented by green and blue hydrogen.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services for any Oil & Gas electrical requirements, covering electrical conceptual design, as well as electrical support during pre-FEED, FEED and EPC design stages, as well as support for reviewing and analysing existing plants and facilities. Typical services we offer can include:
- Concept development and power system design of
- Power systems studies including loadflow, fault level, motor starting, protection, stability and arc flash studies with ETAP or DIgSILENT
- Transformer energisation and inrush studies with DIgSILENT or EMTP-ATP
- Insulation Coordination with DIgSILENT or EMTP-ATP
- Reliability & Availability studies
- Hazardous Area Classification and assessment
- Protection scheme design
- CT sizing calculations
- Interface design to existing assets
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- GSYS – HKN Sarsang Block: Power system studies (Loadflow, Short Circuit, Motor Starting, Protection Coordination, Arc Flash, Harmonics and Transient Stability) for an islanded oil extraction facility in Kurdistan, Iraq.
- Storengy – Stublatch Site: Power system studies (Fault Level, Protection Coordination, Arc Flash and Dynamics) for a 132kV, 50MW, gas storage facility in the UK.
- Fabri – Shell Haven: HV design and calculations, and power system studies (Fault Level, Arc Flash and Protection Coordination) to support replacement of an existing main 6.6kV switchboard.
- BPA – Kingsbury: Power system studies (Fault Level, Protection Coordination and Arc Flash) for an 11kV connected oil storage and pumping facility in the UK.
- SSE – OPA: Detail design for a DC inter-tripping circuit between two substations for a pipeline pumping station in the UK.
- Influit – HKN Sarsang: Organisation and Chairing a safety SAFOP review for a new detail design project in Kurdistan, Iraq.