The renewable power sector is one of the UKs key electrical markets and is undergoing a rapid expansion in onshore wind, offshore wind, solar PV, biogas, energy from waste and even some hydro plants. The majority of these plants all have similar goals, to maximise their profitability by optimising the design to reduce CAPEX and OPEX, whilst ensuring that all necessary performance requirements imposed by the Developer and DNO are met.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services across the renewable sector, covering conceptual design ideas, system analysis and detailed design activities. Typical services we offer can include:
- ENA P28/2 Voltage Disturbance Studies
- ENA G5.5 Harmonic Studies
- ENA G99 Compliance Studies
- ENA 41-24 Earthing Studies
- Preparation and Completion of ENA G99 forms
- Preparation and Completion of National Grid application forms
- Concept development
- Acting as Owners engineer
- Advice & Support dealing with DNO Offers
- Advice & Support dealing with National Grid
- Challenging DNO costs and non-contestable scope
- Independent reviews of ICPs scope and proposals
- Arc Flash and Fault Level studies
- Stability Studies
- Insulation coordination studies
- Reliability & Availability studies
- Protection scheme design & CT sizing
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- Ethical Power Connections – Branston PV: Power System Studies (Reactive Power, P28/2, G5/4, IEC 60909, Insulation Coordination and Protection Coordination), CT Sizing Calculations and earthing transformer sizing for a 132kV, 40MW, Solar PV plant, in Lincolnshire.
- EcoDev Group – Acting as a Technical Advisor to provide various preliminary concept designs, G99 form completion, review of DNO / National Grid proposals, review of ICP proposals and technical support for various Solar PV and Battery Storage projects throughout the UK.
- Windcare – Keith Hill Windfarm: Power System Studies (Reactive Power, Fault Ride Through, P28, and G5.4) and Earthing study / design for a National Grid connected, 33kV, 4.5MW, onshore windfarm in Lanarkshire, Scotland.
- Ethical Power Connections – Churchover PV: Power System Studies (G99 Type C studies, P28/2, G5.4 and protection), for a 33kV, 11.2MW, Solar PV plant, in Gloucestershire.
- Connected Energy – Halewick Lane: G99 (Type C) Reactive Power Flow study and P28/2 study for a 33kV, 12MW Battery Storage site in West Sussex, UK.
- Orsted – Carnegie Road: Reactive Power Study for a 20MW, 33kV battery storage system, in Liverpool, UK.
- UCP Choice – Holes Bay (for Tesla): Power System studies for a 7.5MW, 11kV battery storage system, in Poole, UK