The transmission & distribution sector in the UK is one of the most dynamic and exciting electrical markets in the world, which is undergoing a rapid expansion due to the increasing penetration of battery storage, onshore wind, offshore wind, solar PV and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations. Transmission & Distribution infrastructure owners are faced by a constant pressure of new connections, increasing demand and a need to reduce CAPEX and OPEX, whilst ensuring that all necessary performance requirements are met.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services across the T&D industry direct to DNOs, iDNOs and private network operators to covering conceptual design ideas, system analysis and detailed design activities. Typical services we offer can include:
- Concept development or upgrade and expansion of existing networks
- Support for new and emerging technologies
- ENA P28/2 Voltage Disturbance Studies
- ENA G5.5 Harmonic Studies
- ENA G99 compliance Studies
- Arc Flash and Fault Level studies
- Stability Studies
- Insulation coordination studies
- Reliability & Availability studies
- Protection scheme design & CT sizing
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- WSP – Hampton Substation: Earthing study for a new 24.9kV substation added to the Barbados Power and Light Company transmission network, using the CDEGS earthing package.
- Qmulus – Stability Pathfinder: Fault level studies to assess provision of new synchronous condensers to the 275kV and 400kV National Grid network in Scotland.
- Ferguson Johnson – 400kV Tower EPR assessment: Earthing and lightning strike studies to assess the Earth Potential Rise (EPR) and step voltages around a number of 400kV overhead line grid towers in the middle of a proposed large housing development.
- Enertechnos – Capacitive Cable System: Conceptual study to review a new capacitive transfer cable concept for deployment onto the WPD DNO network.
- Thameswey – Woking Town Centre: Fault Study, Protection Coordination Study and earthing study, for a large iDNO network in Woking, UK.
- Reactive Technologies – Inertia Measurement: Conceptual power system study considering, Loadflow, Fault Level, Protection, Harmonics and Stability, to review a new inertia measuring technology for deployment onto a 275/33kV national Grid connected site in the UK.
- Eirgrid – Moyle EMS: A safety investigation to carry out a review into a safety concern raised by a Control Room operative, into remote switching and operation of the Moyle HVDC link.
- Trant – Falklands Power Station: Power System Studies (Loadflow, short circuit, arc flash and protection coordination) for an large islanded power distribution and transmission network.