The transmission & distribution sector is one of the UKs key electrical markets and is undergoing a rapid expansion due to the increasing penetration of onshore wind, offshore wind, solar PV and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations. Transmission & Distribution infrastructure, owners are faced by a constant need to reduce CAPEX and OPEX, whilst ensuring that all necessary performance requirements are met, and they can adapt to customers increasing needs and the current pace of change.
SPE Electrical can offer a wide range of studies and services across the T&D, covering conceptual design ideas, system analysis and detailed design activities. Typical services we offer can include:
- Concept development
- Support for new and emerging technologies
- ENA P28/2 Voltage Disturbance Studies
- ENA G5.5 Harmonic Studies
- ENA G99 compliance Studies
- Arc Flash and Fault Level studies
- Stability Studies
- Insulation coordination studies
- Reliability & Availability studies
- Protection scheme design & CT sizing
- HV cable sizing calculations
- HV network design and reinforcement planning
- Earthing Design and Analysis using either CDEGS or XGSLab
Members of this team, working together, have successfully worked on several notable projects, which are summarised below:
- Qmulus – Stability Pathfinder: Fault level studies to assess provision of new synchronous condensers to the 275kV and 400kV National Grid network in Scotland.
- Enertechnos – Capacitive Cable System: Conceptual study to review a new capacitive transfer cable concept for deployment onto the WPD DNO network.
- Thameswey – Woking Town Centre: Fault Study, Protection Coordination Study and earthing study, for a large iDNO network in Woking, UK.
- Reactive Technologies Ltd. – Inertia Measurement: Conceptual power system study considering, Loadflow, Fault Level, Protection, Harmonics and Stability, to review a new inertia measuring technology for deployment onto a 275/33kV national Grid connected site in the UK.
- Eirgrid – Moyle EMS: A safety investigation to carry out a review into a safety concern raised by a Control Room operative, into remote switching and operation of the Moyle HVDC link.
- Trant – Falklands Power Station: Power System Studies (Loadflow, short circuit and protection coordination) for an large islanded power distribution and transmission network.